Monday, February 20, 2012

I fought the plumber.... Day 1


Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

Preface

This matter is currently resolved so I have not included the name of the plumbing company in this story.  If any of you would like to know their name of the company feel free to email me.

This past December I had some big projects at work and I worked some late nights.  As December always is things outside of work were also quite busy.  In the midst of all this the pilot light on the water heater started going out.  I would light it and it would stay on for a day or two.  By the second week of December it wouldn't stay lit for 30 minutes.  I'm a tinkerer and I like to save money by fixing things myself, but I just hadn't had the time to research this problem.  On the 14th Wendi had had enough.  We were thee days without hot water and she was tired of my excuses.  I was stressed and tired of dealing with it so I agreed to call a plumber.

Day 1 - December 14

The plumber arrived as we were in the middle of making Christmas treats to take to everyone.  Wendi was out delivering the first batch so I was juggling a pot of chocolate caramel and the kids.  I showed him the water heater and went back to my work.  He came back up about a few minutes later and showed me the paperwork with three options.  I should have looked at them closer but ya know what they say about hindsight.

The plumber told me that he thought our problem was a bad thermocouple.  The price tag for that repair came to $260.  I asked what if that isn't the problem.  His response, "Oh, that's no problem we'll credit the price towards further repairs."  I should have looked at the price of "further repairs" but once again you live and you learn.  But in his words, "Don't worry, it's always the thermocouple".  I accompanied him downstairs and asked about the warranty.  He had said that he thought the water heater was only four years old and that brand usually carries a 6 year warranty.  But when I told him we weren't the original purchaser he said he though that the warranty didn't transfer.  I went back to my business and twenty minutes later he came back up with bad news, it wasn't the thermocouple.  At this point he explained options 2 and 3.  He could replace the gas combo valve for $480 or he could replace the whole water heater for $1600.  I may not know the price of a thermocouple or a gas combo valve but I know it shouldn't cost $1600 for a new water heater.  At this point I declined further service.  I asked if he could pull the part and just bill me for his time.  He said that his suppliers wouldn't take a part back once it had been installed.  So, frustrated, I sent him with a check for $260 and I was no better off than before he showed up.

Later that evening I starting doing some research online.  I found that the manufacturer does transfer the warranty to new home owners.  In fact the manufacturer has a spot where I could plug in my serial and check if my warranty was still good.  Turns out it was still under warranty.  Although I was upset over paying $260 with no resolution I was heartened that maybe I could recoup a little money.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

0 comments: